.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDUrl$>

An account of life at a small sole-charge New Zealand school

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Rachael’s Story

My name is Rachael Jupp, I’m 13 years old and one of the two year 8s at Matau School.
I have lived in Matau my whole life, and now I’ve reached the end of Primary School.
I am kind of sad that I’m leaving at the end of this year, but I’m mostly looking forward to starting at New Plymouth Girls High, and the challenges that await me there.
I think that you have more freedom at Matau School, because of the size of it.
Like most rural schools you don’t wear a uniform, and make friends with everyone in the school.
Our school has been on a lot of school trips that others could only dream of doing. We have traveled from Bluff – to Cape Reinga. From taking our whole school and parents to Stewart Island, a trip of the South Island, Wellington, Northland, and we have even considered Australia and the Cook Islands.
Last year six of us seniors won a video competition, the prize, $1,000. So the six of us decided to take everyone to Rainbows End.
Our school has also won the 40 Hour Famine Shield, about four times in a row.
Our school has a lot of new equipment and playing gear too. A Crazy Catch, Portable Tennis Net, we recently dug our trampoline so it is level with the ground, and are now thinking about getting some more sports equipment as well.
So this is what it’s like to be in a sole charge school.
Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?